Proverbs 23:1-35 (NIV)
1 When you sit to dine with a ruler, note well what a]">[a] is before you,
2 and put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.
3 Do not crave his delicacies, for that food is deceptive.
4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
5 Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle.
6 Do not eat the food of a stingy man, do not crave his delicacies;
7 for he is the kind of man who is always thinking about the cost. b]">[b] "Eat and drink," he says to you,
but his heart is not with you.
8 You will vomit up the little you have eaten and will have wasted your compliments.
9 Do not speak to a fool, for he will scorn the wisdom of your words.
10 Do not move an ancient boundary stone or encroach on the fields of the fatherless,
11 for their Defender is strong; he will take up their case against you.
12 Apply your heart to instruction and your ears to words of knowledge.
13 Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die.
14 Punish him with the rod and save his soul from death. c]">[c]
15 My son, if your heart is wise, then my heart will be glad;
16 my inmost being will rejoice when your lips speak what is right.
17 Do not let your heart envy sinners, but always be zealous for the fear of the LORD.
18 There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off.
19 Listen, my son, and be wise, and keep your heart on the right path.
20 Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat,
21 for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.
22 Listen to your father, who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old.
23 Buy the truth and do not sell it; get wisdom, discipline and understanding.
24 The father of a righteous man has great joy; he who has a wise son delights in him.
25 May your father and mother be glad; may she who gave you birth rejoice!
26 My son, give me your heart and let your eyes keep to my ways,
27 for a prostitute is a deep pit and a wayward wife is a narrow well.
28 Like a bandit she lies in wait, and multiplies the unfaithful among men.
29 Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has strife? Who has complaints? Who has needless bruises? Who has bloodshot eyes?
30 Those who linger over wine, who go to sample bowls of mixed wine.
31 Do not gaze at wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup, when it goes down smoothly!
32 In the end it bites like a snake and poisons like a viper.
33 Your eyes will see strange sights and your mind imagine confusing things.
34 You will be like one sleeping on the high seas, lying on top of the rigging.
35 "They hit me," you will say, "but I'm not hurt! They beat me, but I don't feel it! When will I wake up
so I can find another drink?"
- Proverbs 23:1 Or who
- Proverbs 23:7 Or for as he thinks within himself, / so he is; or for as he puts on a feast, / so he is
- Proverbs 23:14 Hebrew Sheol
5 commands to sons:
1. Consider who is before you and act accordingly. When it is the ruler and your blessing is that of honor instead of feasting (Proverbs 23:1)
2. Put a knife to your throat - do not be a glutton - subdue your own appetite and thus make a favorable impression (Proverbs 23:2)
3. Do not lust after the king's delicacies or appear as if you are not accustomed to such food (Proverbs 23:3)
4. Labor not to be rich, for riches take wings and fly away (Proverbs 23:4-5). Concentrate on eternal things
5. Cease from your own wisdom, that is, the kind which makes riches the chief end in life (Proverbs 23:4-5)
5 examples of men given to appetites:
1. Esau (Genesis 25:30)
2. Isaac (Genesis 25:28; 27:4)
3. Nabal (1 Samuel 25:36)
4. Belshazzar (Daniel 5)
5. False teachers (Philippians 3:18-19)
3 examples of laboring for riches:
1. Lot (Genesis 13:10)
2. The rich fool (Luke 12:16-20)
3. Rich men (1 Timothy 6:9-10; James 5:1-6)
2 things not to labor for:
1. To be rich only (Proverbs 23:4)
2. To have temporal food only (John 6:27)
8 things to labor for:
1. Eternal food (John 6:27)
2. To help the poor (Ephesians 4:28)
3. To win lost souls (Philippians 2:16)
4. To support the weak (Acts 20:35)
5. To perfect the saints (Colossians 4:12; Ephesians 4:11-14; Galatians 4:11; 1 Thess. 5:12)
6. Not to burden others (1 Thessalonians 2:9)
7. To enter eternal rest (Hebrews 4:1)
8. To be accepted of God (2 Corinthians 5:9)
6 commands to sons:
1. Do not carry on a conversation with a fool who will despise your words (Proverbs 23:9)
2. Remove not the old landmarks (Proverbs 23:10)
3. Enter not into the fields of orphans to rob them (Proverbs 23:10-11)
4. Apply your heart to wisdom (Proverbs 23:12)
5. Give ear to knowledge (Proverbs 23:12)
6. Do not hesitate to correct a child, even if you have to use a rod. You will not kill him, but you will save his soul from hell (Proverbs 23:13-14)
4 commands to sons:
2. Depise not your parents (Proverbs 23:22)
3. Buy the truth, wisdom, instruction, and understanding (Proverbs 23:23)
4. Sell not the truth, wisdom, instruction, and understanding (Proverbs 23:23)
12 things not to despise:
1. Old mother (Proverbs 23;22)
2. Chastening of the LORD (Proverbs 3:11; Job 5:17; Hebrews 12:5)
3. A hungry thief (Proverbs 6:30; Deuteronomy 23:24-25)
4. The Word (Proverbs 13:13)
5. Neighbors (Proverbs 14:21)
6. Parents instructions (Proverbs 15:32; 30:17)
7. Children and believers (Matthew 18:10)
8. Weak Christians (Roman 14:3)
9. Prophecies (1 Thessalonians 5:20)
10.Youth (1 Timothy 4:12)
11.Masters (1 Timothy 6:12)
12.Ministers (Titus 2:15)
23 characteristics of a wise son:
1. Hears and obeys parents (Proverbs 1:5; 23:24)
2. Increases knowledge (Proverbs 1:5; 12:15)
3. Profits by examples (Proverbs 6:6)
4. Profits by rebuke (Proverbs 9:8; 15:31)
5. Increases wisdom (Proverbs 9:9)
6. Is diligent in business (Proverbs 10:5)
7. Welcomes commandments (Proverbs 10:8)
8. Lays up knowledge(Proverbs 10:14)
9. Controls lips, tongue (Proverbs 10;10; Proverbs 17:28)
10.Rules well (Proverbs 11:29)
11.Is a success in soul-winning (Proverbs 11:30)
12.Loves company of wise men (Proverbs 13:20)
13.Builds for the future (Proverbs 14:1)
14.Departs from evil (Proverbs 14:16)
15.Utters knowledge rightly (Proverbs 15:2,7)
16.Makes parents happy (Proverbs 23:15)
17.Seeks knowledge (Proverbs 18:15)
18.Lives in soberness (Proverbs 20:1)
19.Solves problems of men (Proverbs 21:22)
20.Increases strength (Proverbs 24:5)
21.Keeps the law (Proverbs 28:7)
22.Turns away from contention (Proverbs 29:8)
23.Controls self in strife (Proverbs 29:11)
18 commands concerning the heart:
1. Apply the heart to understanding (Proverbs 2:2; 22:17; 23:12)
2. Open the heart to wisdom (Proverbs 2:10)
3. Keep the commandments (Proverbs 3:1; 4:4, 21)
4. Write commandments on it (Proverbs 3:3; 7:3)
5. Trust in the LORD (Proverbs 3;5)
6. Keep it with all diligence (Proverbs 4:23)
7. Bind commandments upon it (Proverbs 6:21)
8. Do nut lust in it (Proverbs 6:25)
9. Do not be inclined to sin (Proverbs 7:25)
10.Have an understanding heart (Proverbs 8:5)
11.Be wise in it (Proverbs 11:29; 16:21; 12:23)
12.Retain wisdom in it (Proverbs 14:33)
13.Be merry in heart (Proverbs 15:13, 15)
14.Study answers with it (Proverbs 15:28)
15.Increase its knowledge (Proverbs 18:15)
16.Apply it to instruction (Proverbs 23:12)
17.Do not use it to envy sinners (Proverbs 23:17)
18.Give heart to wisdom (Proverbs 23:26)
6 curses of drunkards:
6. Redness of eyes
16 characteristics of a wicked heart:
1. It despises reproof (Proverbs 5:12)
2. Is perverse: devises continual mischief, and sows discord (Proverbs 6:14)
3. Devises wicked imaginations (Proverbs 6:18)
4. Lusts after beautiful women (Proverbs 6:25)
5. Is full of subtilty (Proverbs 7:10)
6. Full of deceit (Proverbs 12:20)
7. Proclaims foolishness (Proverbs 12:23)
8. Is proud and abominable (Proverbs 16:5; 21:4; 28:25)
9. Haughty (Proverbs 18:12)
10.Fault-finding with God (Proverbs 19:3)
11.Perverse in talk (Proverbs 23:33)
12.Studies how to destroy others (Proverbs 24:2)
13.Is glad when others stumble (Proverbs 24:17)
14.Full of abominations (Proverbs 26:25)
15.Has increased hardening against God (Proverbs 28:14)
16.Trusts in self (Proverbs 28:26)