Warning Against Adultery
1 My son, pay attention to my wisdom, listen well to my words of insight,
2 that you may maintain discretion and your lips may preserve knowledge.
3 For the lips of an adulteress drip honey, and her speech is smoother than oil;
4 but in the end she is bitter as gall, sharp as a double-edged sword.
5 Her feet go down to death; her steps lead straight to the grave. a]">[a]
6 She gives no thought to the way of life; her paths are crooked, but she knows it not.
7 Now then, my sons, listen to me; do not turn aside from what I say.
8 Keep to a path far from her, do not go near the door of her house,
9 lest you give your best strength to others and your years to one who is cruel,
10 lest strangers feast on your wealth and your toil enrich another man's house.
11 At the end of your life you will groan, when your flesh and body are spent.
12 You will say, "How I hated discipline! How my heart spurned correction!
13 I would not obey my teachers or listen to my instructors.
14 I have come to the brink of utter ruin in the midst of the whole assembly."
15 Drink water from your own cistern, running water from your own well.
16 Should your springs overflow in the streets, your streams of water in the public squares?
17 Let them be yours alone, never to be shared with strangers.
18 May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth.
19 A loving doe, a graceful deer— may her breasts satisfy you always, may you ever be captivated by her love.
20 Why be captivated, my son, by an adulteress? Why embrace the bosom of another man's wife?
21 For a man's ways are in full view of the LORD, and he examines all his paths.
22 The evil deeds of a wicked man ensnare him; the cords of his sin hold him fast.
23 He will die for lack of discipline, led astray by his own great folly.
- Proverbs 5:5 Hebrew Sheol
15 reasons to be removed from a whore:
1. She is an apostate (v 3)
2. She is deceptive (v 3)
3. She is a flatterer (v 3)
4. Her end is like a wormwood (v 4)
5. Her end is destructive (v 4)
6. Her feet go down to death (v 5)
7. Her steps lay hold of hell (v 5)
8. Her ways are unpredictable (v 6)
9. She will ruin your reputation (v 9)
10. She will cause years of trouble (v 9)
11. She will bring material ruin (v 10)
12. She will ruin your health (v 11)
13. She will bring remorse (v 12-13)
14. She will reduce to wickedness (v 14)
15. She will cause eternal ruin (v 23)
10 examples of man's ways before God:
1. Cain (Genesis 4:5-6)
2. Babel's builders (Genesis 11:1-11)
3. Sodom and Gomorroh (Genesis 18:21)
4. Uzzah (2 Samuel 6:6-7; 1 Chronicles 13:10
5. David (2 Samuel 12)
6. Baasha (1 Kings 15:29)
7. Ahab (1 Kings 21:19)
8. Belshazzar (Daniel 5:22-28)
9. Nathaneal (John 1:48)
10. The 7 churches (Revelation 2:2; 9, 13, 19; 3:1, 8, 15)
4 examples of men held by sin:
1. Saul (1 Samuel 18:8-9; 28:5-20)
2. Ahithophel (2 Samuel 17:23)
3. Judas (John 12:6; Matthew 26:47-49)
4. Paul (Romans 7:7-25)